Monday, May 25, 2009

Being a Mother




"If mothers could learn to do for themselves
what they do for their children when these are overdone,
we should have happier households. Let the mother go out to play!
If she would have the courage to let everything go
when life becomes too tense, and just take a day, or half a day, out in the fields,
or with a favourite book, or in a picture gallery looking long and well
at just two or three pictures, or in bed, without the children,
life would go on far more happily for both children and parents.
The mother would then be able to hold herself in "wise passiveness’
and would not fret her children by continual interference
even of hand or eye - she would let them be."
~Charlotte Mason~
I LOVE this quote...as a mother I feel the need to constantly "work". I feel guilty when I get away with a book to devour for a few moments because there is always something else I should be working on. I believe this quote really hits home... the children and home will be better off when we take the time to renew our spirit. I need to let the housework slide and enjoy the moment with my children or a moment alone when I am stressed. I know I should do this more often than I do and coming across this quote was a great reminder. Bye for now, I am going to have a hot cup of tea and read a book to my kiddos! Leanne

3 comments:

Chris said...

such gorgeous photos. Your boys are fantastic! I'm sad to say, the taking time to play isn't my issue... it's the remembering to work that I struggle with. I can spend hours on the floor with the kids buried under Lego, or riding our bikes around town, or creating stuff out of garbage my husband tried to sneak out in the garbage bin. But dusting? just can't seem to work it in to the schedule.

Leanne said...

That is great Chris, it really is! When our children are grown we will have plenty of time to dust. :-)

Sandra said...

Kids grow up TOO fast! My oldest is 21 and it seems like I've only had him about 5 years. They deserve our best and taking time out for us sometimes makes us better for them.



You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. Isaiah 55:12