Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Homeschooling



Isaiah 40:11 I believe captures the essence of the shepherd and his sheep best:


He tends his flock like a shepherd

He gathers the lambs in his arms

He carries them close to his heart

He gently leads those that have young.


Notice that the shepherd gathers the lambs in his arms and not upon his shoulders. The reason for this is to calm the lambs by allowing them to hear the beating of the shepherd's heart, not the beating of his voice. This is what my son was yearning for all of those years:to hear the beating of my heart not the beating of my voice. It has now been seven years since I experienced this incredible transformation. Is my son following? Yes indeed. But only when he hears my heart beating louder than my voice!"
That's what got to me: are my children hearing my heart beating louder than my voice?


~This is a portion of the message I heard by Mark Hamby.


Mark Hamby was my favorite speaker at the Cincinnati, Ohio homeschool convention I attended a few days ago! Check him out...he also runs the Lamplighter Publishing which reprints awesome books from the 1600's, 1700's , 1800's & 1900's. http://www.lamplighterpublishing.com/


I had such an amazing time and feel so uplifted as a parent and homeschool mother. It was amazing to see so many others who are in the same war I am in: the war for my children's souls. To me that is what homeschooling is all about. Teaching our children how to draw near to their Heavenly Father and to experience Him in a way that is life changing!

2 comments:

Joy said...

I am so glad you had a good time. I was wandering if you had already been! So has your views of home schooling changed since Kindergarden? Its amazing to me what I think now is the most important of home school and oh how different I view our schooling!
Literature...oh the love of good literature starting with the bible. I am glad to hear you had a wonderful time!
Joy

Unknown said...

Yes, so glad to hear you had a great and encouraging time! I have never been to a homeschool convention, I can see how it would be very affirming and encouraging.



You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. Isaiah 55:12